Monday, January 12, 2015

Go forth...where?

     Luke 8:26-39 recounts the story of Jesus casting demons out of a man and into a herd of swine.  You are all familiar with it, I'm sure.  When I read this passage again recently, I hooked on the last two verses.

"But the man from whom the demons had gone out was begging Him
that he might accompany Him; but He sent him away, saying,
"Return to your house and describe what great things
God has done for you."  So he went away, proclaiming throughout
the whole city what great things Jesus had done for him."

     As Christians, sometimes I believe it's easy to read and learn about missionaries and feel inadequate.  "Am I doing enough for God?"  "How am I supposed to minister to the world without going to a third world country?"  "Why am I stuck at home with no one to evangelize to?"

     I have good news for you, fellow Christian!  Every person that God puts in our path needs ministry!  The opportunity to share the good news of Jesus has always been right in front of us!  Think of the man in the story in Luke 8.  He begged to travel with Jesus as He preached and taught to the multitudes.  But Jesus sent him away, telling him to first proclaim to his own household what God had done for him.  Do you see?  What could have been more important than first describing to his own family the miraculous saving mercy of God?

     There is much to be done in our own backyard.  Our country needs God's salvation as much as any third world realm!  If you are, as I am, absolutely overcome with gratitude for what the Lord Jesus Christ has done for you, GO TELL SOMEONE!  What could be better than sharing the hope of grace and the depth of divine love with your neighbor or store clerk, who if unsaved is held just as tightly in Satan's grasp as a pagan in the middle of Africa?

     This post, of course, is NOT intended to discourage you from missions abroad.  Please get that!  I was just praying that this post would help other Christians who perhaps don't have the resources to travel all over the world, or who God has specifically placed in a different capacity at this point in their lives.  If that is you, then don't lose heart, embrace God's will for you at this appointed moment, and proclaim liberty to captives living more close by. :)  If the Lord's will is for you to journey to another country to share His good news, go with all of your heart!

     I am very interested in your input on this subject.  Please comment or email me your thoughts!  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post, Delaney. I struggle with that sometimes knowing I need to be a better example to my non believing family or friends. Sometimes I don't know when to actually say something or just hope and pray they see God through me.

    ReplyDelete