"You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become
convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them,
and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings
which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation
through faith which is in Christ Jesus."
2 Timothy 3:14-15
In Deuteronomy, Moses is retelling Israel much of the already written Law. Chapters 27-29 discuss curses and blessings, and chapter 30 promises restoration from eventual banishment. The verses that I want to study most are 11-14.
"For this commandment which I command you today
is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach.
It is not in heaven, that you should say,
'Who will go up to heaven for us to get it for us
and make us hear it, that we may observe it?'
Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say,
'Who will cross the sea for us to get it for us
and make us hear it, that we may observe it?'
But the word is very near you, in your mouth
and in your heart, that you may observe it."
What comforting words! When we feel like we can't do anything right, can't say the right things, can't possibly follow all of God's commandments, these verses remind us that His Word is very near us! It is not, like in long days past, unavailable to the common man. We have the Scriptures in our very hands, and if we are wise, ready on our tongues and hidden in our hearts. I cannot explain to you how much it grieves me that so many lost, unsaved people own a Bible and have picked it up maybe twice. What grieves me more are all the people who profess faith in Jesus and they have only picked up their Bible twice! Are we to take the Lord's commandments for granted? They are there for our instruction in righteousness! How can we continue our sanctification in the Lord if we ignore His Word?
It is easy for us to take what I just wrote and say "Oh sure, so I'll read the Bible. Every day, even! Sure, a Psalm here, Proverb there, maybe even throw in some Beatitudes..." I understand that those passages are there for just as much reason as the rest of the Bible (please study them), but have you considered that the Law and Prophets are just as important as the Psalms and Proverbs? Funny, I just glanced down at my Bible and noticed the last verse of Deuteronomy 29:
"The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the
things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever,
that we may observe all the words of this law."
There is a reason that the whole Bible has been revealed and made available to us--that we should study and observe it!
Well, it's gettin' late here in the East...I hope you've been encouraged.
I was blessed by reading your post Delaney, thank you for the encouragement to diligently read and study the Word of God! Your investment in God's Word will last forever, so keep studying it! :)
ReplyDelete