Monday, August 11, 2014

Overview on possibly the two most amazing weeks of my life!

     The last few months have impacted my life in many ways.  But for now, I am going to tell you all about July 12-24, when we attended an incredible music camp in Nashville, TN.
     Our family heard about the Fine Arts Summer Academy in June.  Some friends told us about it, and we knew we had to check it out.  The Annie Moses Band started it about eleven years ago, and they have amazing musical talent, not to mention that they use it all for the glory of God.  After hearing samples of past FASA concerts and  more AMB music, we were convinced that it was not your typical summer camp.  There is a younger division and upper division, both of which have performances at certain times in the two weeks. Most notable is the upper division's final gala at the Grand Ole Opry!  The days, we learned from different sources, were long and practice-filled.  But we knew that it was something we wanted to do.  We couldn't even comprehend how much we would learn about and grow in music while we were there!  So we sent in the required audition videos *cringe*, and then had to wait a few days before finding out if we had been accepted.  Praise God, we were!  We were so excited for the day to finally arrive.
     On July 12, we dropped off our friend David who had built our dock addition and book shelves at the Nashville Airport, and then headed over to the beautiful Libscomb University campus.  This is where the camp was being held, and the 12th was check-in day.  We drove around forever trying to find a place to park, and finally made it to registration.  The lines were long and took quite a while to work through.  After receiving our schedules, t-shirts, music, and room keys, we made our way to the Johnson Hall where our family had two adjoining rooms.  Though quite colorless and completely lacking in personality, they became our home for the two week academy.  We settled in as best we could, grabbed a bite to eat, and then headed to a gathering for whoever was already on campus.  There were hymns and worship songs, past FASA testimonies, and games.  It was a great time to get acquainted with the rest of the students and some of the mentors!  These gatherings took place on quite a few of the evenings that week.
     Well, the next day was Sunday, and there was a chapel service.  Guest speaker was Robin Wolaver, the founder of the Annie Moses Band.  She gave an excellent speech that prepared us all very well for what would be happening over the next weeks.  And almost directly after chapel was an orientation luncheon which was also very informative and helpful.  Then, we buckled our seat belts and grabbed our instruments--rehearsals began that afternoon!
     In accordance with the strategic fashion by which Haley and I registered, I was placed in the orchestra as a 1st violinist and Haley in the choir as a 1st soprano.  For that reason, we also didn't see each other for much of the first week. :(  But Dad, Mom, and Libbey came to a lot of the rehearsals, so that was a blessing.  We were also placed into a couple of fiddle ensembles and/or mandolin and vocal ensembles.
     For the first week, the days were pretty much the same.  I went to orchestra practice and string masterclass in the mornings (sometimes in the evenings, too), and then went to sectionals and ensembles in the afternoons.  The only exceptions were when I had private lessons, which were encouraging and fun as well.  I also had to get my braces tightened on Thursday, which gave me a very unpleasant headache that didn't stop for about three days (I have since recovered, but sympathy is always appreciated). :)  And on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, there were small showcases for the different ensembles and drama groups. Those were very fun, and they got us used to performing together.  But it was also a test--the Annie Moses Band was watching closely to decide which few ensembles would be good enough to appear center stage at the Opry.
     Well, on Monday morning, there was a reorientation.  The next few days would be committed to putting together the final prep work for the gala.  So all the music stands, choir bleachers, and sound equipment was moved to the huge (and cold) Allen Arena on campus.  Did I mention it was freezing?!  Sure, it was the middle of July, but we all liked being in the heat and humidity better than in the arena.  That's how cold it was.
     So Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were very full days.  Besides the combined rehearsals in the arena, the ensembles that had been selected for center stage at the gala were sprucing up their pieces and playing them at intervals for the Annie Moses Band. Haley and I were both blessed to be a part of one!  I played the mandolin in "Salt Creek" and Haley sang in "Turn, Turn, Turn".  There was quite a bit of rushing around.
     Well, Thursday was the BIG DAY!!!  I was so elated that I couldn't have told you the answer to two plus two!  Dad dropped Haley and I off at the Opry for a full day of rehearsing (family was not allowed backstage or elsewhere).  The whole place is huge and elaborate and magnificent.  While we waited backstage for our turn to practice, we couldn't help but wander around and explore a bit. :)  And then dress rehearsal started at about twelve thirty.  It lasted until five.  Yes.  And the chairs weren't even comfy.  Yes.
     Oh, well, who had time to care?  The dress rehearsal went pretty smoothly and everyone did a great job.  The minutes were counting down and it was almost time for the show!!!! We all had to be in our places at 7:15 (the show started at 7:30).  Everyone sat or stood in their places, and the enormous velvet curtain had been lowered.  We could hear voices beyond the cloth.  I looked at the clock, 7:28:22,23,24,25.....7:29:36,37,38,39....."Ladies and gentlemen please turn off all cell phones and other noise making devices..."  The curtain started to rise.  Out walked the concert mistress and the conductor.  We bowed. There was silence.
     The first part of the show was a Broadway selection.  Music from "Fiddler on the Roof", "Oklahoma!", "West Side Story", and others.  Well, we thought there would be music from West Side Story.  To our dismay, the girls that kicked off the next section of the show walked onto the stage to sing "Lollipop" right before everyone in the orchestra's favorite song, "Mambo" from West Side Story was about to begin.  We tried not to appear alarmed as the girls finished their song and the curtain went down for intermission.  Their was quite a buzz as to whether or not we'd get to do the song at all.  But that question was answered when the concert mistress and conductor announced that we would start the second half of the show with Mambo.  The curtain went up again, and a very glad orchestra began our favorite piece at the conductor's direction.  Then their was Jazz music, bluegrass tunes, and others.  I exited the stage right after the first song with several others who had to get ready to go center stage with our ensembles.  While I waited backstage with friends, I observed the show through the curtains and chatted quietly with other performers.  Soon, the banjo player and I walked onto the stage, and he started to play a rousing tune while I retrieved the mandolin from Gretchen Wolaver, the primary mandolin instructor of FASA. She was playing as principle of the second violinists, so I walked halfway across the stage to her and then walked back and waited for the microphones to be set up and the fiddle players in our number, Salt Creek, to walk on.  I was so excited to play the mandolin at the Opry!  I love the mandolin, in case y'all didn't know. :)  At the leader's counting, we started our song.  It was so much fun!  Classic bluegrass style and three part harmony for the fiddles, while I played rhythm with the banjo, guitar, and the fiddlers who were chopping (those of you who play the fiddle know what that is). :)  Our tune went well and we left the stage.  It was a lot of fun!  We hurried back to our places, and I had a lot of rest time watching the other ensembles perform.  But then we all got to play together again!  Now we did themes from old (and new) TV shows and movies.  Everyone in the audience loved Andy Griffith, Little House on the Prairie (it sounded just like it, guys!  Memories...), Mission Impossible, Toy Story, and others.  Those were all a lot of fun.  But the best was at the end.  Moving songs like "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "Hard Times Come Again No More" were very touching; they chose excellent soloists for those.  And the grand finish was the Patriot Medley!  This song blended America the Beautiful and Battle Hymn of the Republic in a very unique arrangement.  The standing ovation afterwards required the Annie Moses Band and performers to bow, leave, and come back and bow again three times.  At the end of the third time, Annie Dupre (our concert mistress) whispered as quietly as she could while still making every performer hear "We're doing Mambo again, and we're going to stand up!"  Everyone grinned and stood; we had been warned that if there was a lot of clapping that we would have to do another song.  And remember how Mambo was our favorite that had gotten delayed?  Well, we were ecstatic to play it again.  So we did, and then we bowed again.  The crowd really liked that song, too.  It was the perfect ending.
     There were many Kodak moments to follow, many hugs and goodbyes, and some tears, as well.  I packed up my violin and grabbed my bags, then went hunting for my sister.  We said more goodbyes, then left to find our family and friends who had come to watch.  It was so late and I have to admit that I was plumb tuckered out, but we made it back to our room in one piece and flopped into bed.  And I doubt that I have ever slept more soundly than I did that night.
     This whole experience was such a blessing to me personally and in my music.  The whole academy was very Christ-centered.  There were many instances when everyone prayed together for God's direction and blessing on the endeavor, and our minds and hearts were constantly being reminded by our instructors, parents, and fellow students that our purpose was to glorify the Lord Jesus.  It was a time of much musical growth and encouragement that I would not have traded for any other activities that another summer camp would have offered.  I would highly recommend FASA for any serious musician who wants to take their music to the next level!  The quality of instruction is top-notch, and the Christian focus of the camp is very rare and special.
     I know that it has been forever since I posted, so hopefully this long post has made up for that!  I'll try my best to get on here more.  Thank you to my faithful readers!

5 comments:

  1. It was pretty amazing. Thanks for putting it so beautifully into words :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds pretty amazing, Delaney! You did a wonderful job describing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally hear you saying this, Delaney!! I love the line "I was plumb tuckered out" such a Delaney phrase! Miss you!! -MacyMakana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Delaney,
    I loved reading about your experience at the camp. Sure hope to see videos of the performance when we are there. See you in a little over a month!
    Love, Auntie Didar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey sis, I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! Check it out at this link here.....http://mypurereflections.blogspot.com/2014/08/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete