Friday, May 2, 2014

What our nation needs

     When I was 13, I wrote a letter to our local newspaper that basically stated my opinion on the current state of affairs in the U.S.  My parents told me that the newspaper likes to print controversial letters and articles, and I was up for the challenge.  So when, lo and behold, my letter was not printed, I figured I'd been a little too up-front with my views.  Later I found out that my letter had too many words in it.
     But right now I will just say the simple truth, in the least amount of words possible.  This country needs God.  Period.
     We can talk all day about our trillions of dollars of debt.  Or the monopolized, intrusive government education system.  Or gun rights.  We can read the Constitution out loud from beginning to end and point out how far our abuse of it has gone.  To say it plain, we can find every problem with our country and heap the blame on whoever and whatever we want, and America will not be fixed.  It doesn't matter who the president is or which party is the majority in our Congress.  This country needs GOD.
     Our country has always been imperfect, as every nation in the world is.  But at least we acknowledged God for a while.  And the truth is, our nation will not change for the better until we repent and fall on our knees at the feet of Jesus.  If we elect a conservative president, great.  If more states would support homeschooling, wonderful. If more states were friendlier to guns, I would be thankful.  But all of those things mean nothing if we do not confess our sin and rebellion before Almighty God and plead with Him to save us!
     This is sobering.  I don't necessarily see nation-wide repentance on the horizon, but we as individuals can make a difference.  We can write books, elect responsible godly leaders, and so much more.  But most of all, we have the help of the Holy Spirit to fearlessly make straight the way of the Lord.  Do not lose heart!  If we are truly in Christ, spotless eternity is our reward!  And praise God for those who are fighting openly for the cause of Christ in this perverse age, for we know that they are persecuted.  May we keep them in our prayers and be thankful that the Lord shields and protects us as His children.

3 comments:

  1. Very accurate. Our country is rejecting the truth in unrighteousness, and only the Lord will be able to deliver us from the hands of the wicked one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Delaney! We, as Christians, need to be the light in this world that is in such a downward spiral.

    ReplyDelete